It is a busy time of year, going from summer into fall. Our Music Program Coordinator Jessica Westlund has a few practice tips for all of us to start our fall off right. We found these tips very helpful - we thought you might, too!
- Cheerful hearts and full tummies make for good practice - eat a snack before picking up your instrument.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before a lesson to create a clean practice space.
- Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice is most effective when done 4-5 times a week.
- Follow the list your teacher gave you. Take time to go through everything and prepare for the next week.
- Play every song 3 times through to get it locked in.
- Practice before play. It is good to get in the habit of rewarding yourself for practicing. It shouldn't be a chore, but like chores it is easier to do before the evening gets underway.
- Remember to bring your books to every lesson, this way you will be ready when the teacher is ready.
- The new year means new supplies - remember to bring a notebook and pencil. A music bag is a great way to keep track of everything music related, throw it near the door the night before so it is ready to go.
- Remember to give sufficient notice if you are going to miss a day (and remember, we have days set aside at the end of every semester dedicated to make up missed lessons).